News Flash Home
The original item was published from 11/22/2022 9:55:49 AM to 12/1/2022 12:00:01 AM.

News Flash

Fire News

Posted on: November 22, 2022

[ARCHIVED] Prepare Your Home for a Safe Holiday


With Thanksgiving fast approaching, Grand Junction Fire Department is urging everyone to take action to make this a safe holiday. Thanksgiving Day is the leading day for home cooking fires in the United States. More than three times as many cooking fires occur on Thanksgiving Day as a typical day of the year. 

“There is so much going on around our homes during Thanksgiving, it can be easy to lose sight of what’s on the stove or in the oven,” said Ellis Thompson-Ellis, Community Outreach Specialist. “Consider setting timers not just for when food is done, but to refocus you on the cooking in case you get distracted.” 

Know what to do if a cooking fire occurs. 

  • Never use water or a fire extinguisher on a cooking fire. 
  • Always cook with a matching lid beside your pan. If you have a fire, slide the lid over the pan and turn off the burner. Do not remove the lid because the fire could start again. Let the pan cool for a long time.  
  • For an oven fire, turn off the heat and keep the door closed. Only open the door once you’re confident the fire is completely out, standing to the side as you do. If you have any doubts or concerns, contact the fire department for assistance. 
  • Make sure your smoke alarms are in good working order by pressing the test button- it should loudly beep three times. Alarms over 10 years old should be replaced.  

Most cooking fires are preventable with a little added care and caution.  

  • Never leave the kitchen while cooking on the stovetop.  
  • When cooking a turkey, stay at home and check it regularly. 
  • Make a kid and pet-free zone three feet around the oven.  
  • Keep things that can catch fire like oven mitts, wooden utensils, food wrappers, and towels at least three feet away from the cooking area. 
  • Tie back long hair, and avoid long sleeves or hanging fabrics that can come in contact with a heat source. 

GJFD warns of the extreme danger of frying a turkey. If they are used, fryers should be located outdoors away from things that can catch on fire. Turkeys being fried must be completely defrosted and people should make sure that oil will not spill over when turkey is lowered in to the pot. If a turkey is not defrosted completely, the rapid rise in heat can cause water to expand, creating an explosion-like effect that can spray hot grease causing serious burns, injuries, and property damage.  

Facebook Twitter Email

Other News in Fire News

GJFD Firefighters on a roof

GJFD Responds to Fire on Rood Ave

Posted on: February 6, 2023
Station 8 Hose Uncoupling

GJFD Opens Station 8

Posted on: January 23, 2023

GJFD Graduates 13 New Firefighters

Posted on: January 20, 2023
911 on cell phone screen

GJFD Responds To Home Fire

Posted on: October 26, 2022
Press Release Graphic Fire

GJFD Responds to Fatal Home Fire

Posted on: September 21, 2022
GJFD Truck 6

GJFD Deploys to the Mosquito Fire

Posted on: September 9, 2022
GJFD Fire Crew

GJFD Responds to Motor Vehicle Fire

Posted on: August 23, 2022
Brush 6

GJFD Brush 6 Deploys to Texas

Posted on: August 5, 2022
Burned motor home with fire engine in background

GJFD Responds to Motor Home Fire

Posted on: August 5, 2022
GJFD Station 3 Opening

GJFD Opens New Fire Station 3

Posted on: May 17, 2022
Construction equipment at Station 8

Groundbreaking for GJFD Station 8

Posted on: March 31, 2022
GJFD fighting a fire at a commercial building

GJFD Responds to Fire in Vacant Building

Posted on: February 10, 2022
GJFD Fire Truck at Night

GJFD & GJPD Respond to Home Fire

Posted on: January 20, 2022
Truck 1 at Elm Trailer Park

GJFD Responds to Trailer Fire

Posted on: June 1, 2021