Fire Department Contact

Phone: 970-549-5800
Address: 625 Ute Avenue
Grand Junction, CO 81501

Outdoor Burning Regulations

Burn Season 2020

 The Mesa County Health Department issues permits for all areas in Mesa County. Visit their website for more information or call 970-248-6900.

 Burn Permit Hand Out


Mesa County Public Health Burn Permit Site



Recreational Outdoor Burning Regulations

While recreational fire pits, portable outdoor fire places, and permanent fire pits/fireplaces do not require a permit, regulations still apply for the proper use of each. All burning is prohibited during times of sustained or prevailing winds, no burn days, and red flag warnings.

Recreational fire pit regulations- click for PDF Portable Outdoor Fire Place regulations- click for PDF Permanent Fire Pit Regulations- Click for PDF


Alternatives to Open Burning

 Mesa County Composting

Backyard composting has proven very beneficial to replacing open burning. Contact Colorado State Cooperative Extension at 970-244-1834 or visit their website for specific details on how to compost materials in your own back yard.

The Mesa County Waste Management Division offers a large-scale composting facility to the public for residential, municipal and commercial green waste disposal. Materials can be dropped off at the Orchard Mesa Landfill weekday afternoons at no charge. Please avoid materials containing rocks and metal debris, which can cause havoc to the large and expensive tub grinder needed to reduce these materials into small, compostable pieces. They can be contacted at (970) 263-9319 or visit their website for more information.