How do I know if I've been the victim of fraud?

Fraud reports cannot be filed online.  Examples of fraud include:

  • Stolen credit/debit card that was used without permission (if just stolen, it's just a theft) 
  • Credit/Debit card that was used without permission while the owner still has physical possession of card
  • Checks forged/alter and passed or attempted to be passed (i.e. used at a business for purchase or cashed at bank)
  • Identity Theft 
    • Use of SSN for employment 
    • Use or possession of personal identifying information (i.e. drivers license number, Social Security number, DOB, employee number) or personal financial identifying information (account number, PIN, debit/credit card number) 
    • Use of personal identifying info to open accounts (i.e. utilities, cell phones, etc.) 
    • Unauthorized use or possession of financial device (credit card, debit card, check, money order)
  • Transactions occurring on a bank account/credit card without owner’s knowledge or consent 
  • NSF checks more than $2000/Account Closed checks
  • Forged Financial Related Documents 
  • Elder Abuse/Financial Exploitation

If you have received a check that has been returned by the issuing bank as Non-Sufficient Funds (NSF) and is in an amount less than $2,000, the Grand Junction Police Department does not accept these reports. Recipients of these checks are encouraged to file a complaint with the 21st Judicial District Attorney’s Office Bad Check Restitution Program at 877-269-4109 or at

If you are the victim of any of the above-referenced crimes and this occurred within the city limits of Grand Junction, you will need to fill out a fraud packet, which can be found here.  Once the fraud packet us completed, please call (970)242-6707 to speak with an officer.

Show All Answers

1. How do I know if I've been the victim of fraud?
2. What is "suspect information"?
3. How do I enter an address?
4. What do I do if online reporting is not right for me?
5. What if my incident happened outside of the City Limits of Grand Junction? Can I still file a report using this system?
6. What if I don't have all the information I need to file my report online? Can I go back to my report later and finish it?
7. What if there is not a listed incident or crime type that matches the incident I want to report?
8. I'm having technical issues that are preventing me from completing my report online. What should I do?
9. Can I include additional documents or photos with my online report?
10. Can I submit a video file with my online report?