Request a Record
Criminal Justice Records and Police Reports
The Records and Data Management Unit is responsible for data records and case management of criminal justice records in accordance with federal and state guidelines and regulations.
Each of the eight records specialists is master certified through the Colorado Certified Records Network. Their training includes extensive knowledge of Colorado Open Records Act.
Police records are "paperless" and available to the public, unless prohibited for release by law.
All criminal justice requests (Open Records, Evidence and Property, or Audio) must be accompanied by the Open Records Request for Criminal Justice Records Form. Requests may be made in person at the Police Department, or mailed to us at 555 Ute Avenue, or via email.
Copies of police records are billed at $0.25 per page. Additional fees for research and redaction may be included if applicable. Pre-payment is required for some services. A full listing of fees can be viewed here.
The police lobby is open to the public from 7 am to 5 pm, Monday through Friday. The phone number for the Records Department is 970-549-5000.
Evidence & Property
The Grand Junction Police Department Evidence and Property Unit is responsible for managing and storing items collected or seized during police investigations and operations. An item is cataloged and stored so that it can be protected while in our custody and retrieved when needed for court proceedings or when it is time to return it to its owner.
Members of the public wanting to pick up property or evidence need to schedule an appointment with our evidence technicians. Please call 970-549-5150 to schedule an appointment.
- Complete an Evidence Copy Request Form (PDF) AND an Open Records Request for Criminal Justice Records Form. Both forms can be dropped off in the police department lobby or emailed to Evidence and Property (preferred). Please note: BOTH FORMS need to be completed in order for the Grand Junction Police Department to process your request.
- All requests require a $6 non-refundable processing fee at the time the request is submitted (additional charges may vary).
- Multiple recordings cannot be combined.
- Discs are billed at $6 per disc.
- Photocopies - $1 up to 4 pages; $.25 per page after 4 pages.
- Search and Redaction time over 1 hour will be billed at $7.50 per 1/4 hour.
- Allow two weeks for processing from the date received in Evidence - rush requests must be specified as such.
- Please call 970-549-5150 if you have any questions regarding the status of a request.
911 Audio Request Form
- Please submit the 911 Audio Request Form (PDF) and an Open Records Request for Criminal Justice Records Form by email to the GJRCC audio clerk (preferred), fax to 970-245-7206, or drop off at the Grand Junction Police Department Records Department. Please note: BOTH FORMS need to be completed in order for the Grand Junction Police Department to process your request.
- Allow two weeks for processing from the date received by GJRCC. Rush requests must be clearly specified as rush.
- All requests are billed at $6 per recording. Multiple recordings cannot be combined. A non-refundable processing fee of $6 is required for all requests.
- Please call 970-549-5405 if you have any questions regarding the status of a request.