Codes & Permits
Electronic Submittals - Important Notice:
GJFD is pleased to announce all plan reviews and permit applications to include building permit clearances, operational permits, alternative fire protection systems, fireworks (retail and display), flame effects, AST/UST permits, ERRC, etc., have transitioned to Mobile Eyes cloud-based software as of Monday, May 24, 2021. Please click the link to access the Plan Review Portal.
Mobile Food Truck Permits are excluded and should follow procedures outlined in the “Mobile Food Preparation Vehicle Permitting and Inspection” guidance document.
Grand Junction Fire Department's Fire Prevention Bureau is to pursue avenues of fire and life safety hazard risk reduction through enforcement of internationally recognized fire codes and standards. Its primary goal is the reduction of life loss, personal injury, property damage, and the serious socio-economic impacts of fire.
We strive to achieve this goal by:
- Consistent enforcement of fire, life safety, and hazardous material regulations.
- Providing consultation and education services to the development community.
- Providing education and information to the public in the prevention of fires, reduction of life safety hazards, and the proper storage and handling of hazardous materials.
Fire Prevention City Ordinance
City Ordinance Number 4830 (PDF) (includes amendments to the 2018 International Fire Code) and Municipal Code Chapter 15:44 charge Grand Junction's Fire Prevention Bureau with enforcement of the 2018 International Fire Code (IFC). This code was developed in conjunction with a full set of modern construction codes including the International Building Code. The City of Grand Junction and the Mesa County Building Department have also adopted the International Building Code, which works in tandem with the International Fire Code. Copies of the International Fire Code may be viewed at the Grand Junction Fire Department Fire Prevention Bureau or purchased from a book store or on the internet.
Services provided by the Fire Prevention Bureau include consulting, plan reviews, fire protections system inspections, fire and life-safety inspections and fire-flow evaluations. Regularly scheduled fire company inspections of all commercial properties in the City of Grand Junction are required by ordinance. The objective of these inspections is to identify and initiate correction of fire and life-safety hazards, verify contact information, educate the occupants and familiarize fire personnel with the property in the event of a fire.
Fire Code/Supplemental Policy Clarification
The 2018 IFC Section 102.9 and Section 104.1 specifically allows for matters not provided for to be determined by the Fire Code Official and to render code interpretations and adopt policies, procedures, rules, and regulations in order to clarify the application of code provisions.
- 2013-01 Use of Sky Lanterns Prohibited (PDF)
- 2015-01 NFPA13R Fire Flow Reduction Criteria (PDF)
- 2016-1 Regulation for Small Insulated Carbon Dioxide Systems (PDF)
- Turnaround time for clearances is a minimum of 10 business days. Time may be longer depending on current case load(s) and project size(s).
- The Informational items and forms listed that reference the 2012 IFC are being updated as time permits.
- Carbon Dioxide Outdoor Storage (Informational)
- Emergency Responder Radio Coverage System (Informational) (PDF)
- Food Truck Letter Update
- Hazardous Materials Declaration Packet (Informational) (PDF)
- HVAC - Duct Detector Permit
- Mobile Food Preparation Vehicle Permitting and Inspection Information (PDF)
- Mobile Food Preparation Vehicle Permitting and Inspection Information MAP (PDF)
- Special Amusement Buildings, Haunted Houses, and Other Similar Operations (PDF)
Site Planning and Development
- Access Requirements (Informational) (PDF)
- Fire Flow Requirements (Informational) (PDF)
- New Development Fire Flow Form (PDF)
- Truck 1 Specifications (Informational) (PDF)
Building Permit Clearances
- Building Permit & Hazardous Material Activity Review Forms
- Obtaining Fire Department Clearance for Building Permit (Informational) (PDF)
Fire Alarm Systems
- Fire Alarm Requirements by Occupancy (Informational) (PDF)
- Fire Alarm System Permit
- Fire Alarm System Plan Review and Acceptance Testing (Informational) (PDF)
- Fire Watch Procedure (Informational) (PDF)
- Fire Sprinkler Requirements by Occupancy (Informational) (PDF)
- Fire Sprinkler System Permit
- Fire Sprinkler System Plan Review and Acceptance Testing (Informational) (PDF)
- Fire Watch Procedure (Informational)
- Underground Fire Line Information (PDF)
- Underground Fire Line Permit (PDF)
Alternative Fire Protection Systems
(Clean Agent, Commercial Kitchen Hoods, Paint Spray Booth, Etc.) (PDF)
(LPG, Hazardous Materials, High Pile Combustible Storage, Circus Tents, Haunted Houses, Etc.) (PDF)
Above Ground and Underground Storage Tanks
- General Installation and Operational Permit
- Installation of Above-Ground and Underground Storage Tanks (Informational) (PDF)
- Removal of Above-Ground Storage Tank Permit (PDF)
- Removal of Underground Storage Tank Permit (PDF)
- Application for Retail Sales of Fireworks (PDF)
- Flame Effect Permit (PDF)
- Live Performance Flame Effects (PDF)
- Public Fireworks Display Application