Zoning and Development Code Update
The City of Grand Junction has completed its Zoning and Development Code update. The new changes are now ready for consideration by Planning Commission and City Council for city adoption. Information on the overview of this project can be found on Engage GJ and a final draft can be found here: GJZDC Adoption Draft.
The final draft of the updated Zoning and Development Code will be considered for adoption by the Planning Commission and City Council on the following dates:
- November 14, 2023 – Planning Commission Public Hearing at City Hall Auditorium, 250 N. 5th Street at 5:30 pm
- December 20, 2023 – City Council Public Hearing at City Hall Auditorium, 250 N. 5th Street at 5:30 pm
Modules & Overview Memos:
The Consolidated Draft can be found below, along with the original drafts of the code for Modules 1, 2, and 3; along with an overview memo for each draft and a set of fact sheets describing the overall project and where the code has been significantly updated.
- Code Assessment (PDF) (initial report on existing regulations based on public feedback)
- Module 1 Draft (PDF)
- Module 1 Overview Memo (PDF) (describes the major changes in Module 1)
- Module 2 Draft (PDF)
- Module 2 Overview Memo (PDF) (describes the major changes in Module 2)
- Module 3 Draft (PDF)
- Module 3 Overview Memo (PDF) (describes the major changes in Module 3)
The City of Grand Junction is updating its Zoning and Development Code (Z&DC). This project is an important next step in the comprehensive planning process, focused on making sure that the rules that govern land development (zoning and subdivision regulations) support the vision, goals and strategies that were identified by the community as part of the One Grand Junction Comprehensive Plan, which the City adopted in 2021.
The goals of the Zoning and Development Code update project include:
- Updating the City’s regulations to better reflect the goals and policies described in the 2020 One Grand Junction Comprehensive Plan, especially those Key Principles related to Responsible and Managed Growth and Strong Neighborhoods and Housing Choices.
- Achieving a higher level of efficiency, consistency, and simplicity.
- Identifying constraints and opportunities for affordable and attainable housing, consistent with those identified in the City’s recently adopted Housing Strategies.
The Zoning and Development Code update process will be completed in two distinct phases over the next year, beginning with a Phase 1 Code Assessment Report that identifies needed updates to the Code, followed by the substantive revisions to the Z&DC in Phase 2.
The Code Assessment (Phase 1) (PDF) is available for review and comment. Comments on the assessment will be used to inform the drafting of the Code. The City will be holding online public discussions on the Code Assessment. Date and times are forthcoming.
Drafting of the Code will be completed in three modules over approximately the next six months. Each module will be available for public review and comment.
Community involvement is essential to this project. There will be many opportunities to provide ideas and feedback about the project, both in-person and virtually. Each phase in the project will include draft documents that will be shared with the community for input and comment.
Information about the project and upcoming project meetings are updated regularly. To receive notification emails on this project, sign up with NotifyMe. Questions or comments can be emailed to the Community Development Department at ZoningCodeUpdate@gjcity.org.
Keep visiting this official project page and join the mailing list to stay up-to-date on project updates and events.
Contact the Community Development Department at ZoningCodeUpdate@gjcity.org or 970-244-1430.