250 North 5th Street
Grand Junction, CO 81501
Hours: 8:00am - 5:00pm M-F
Boards and Commissions
Participate in City of Grand Junction government online at Grand Junction Speaks.
The Community Development Department is here to assist our community to become the most livable community west of the Rockies! We work to guide and promote development that is vibrant, safe, provides a healthy life style and has a broad and balanced range of land uses. We strive to support a community that provides quality employment opportunities with a mix of job types, has a diversity of housing, has exceptional medical and educational facilities and is child and senior friendly.
Key Functions of the Community Development Department include:
- Preparation of citywide and neighborhood plans
- Permitting services for residential and nonresidential development
- Maintaining the Grand Junction Comprehensive Plan
- Providing information related to zoning, setbacks, and other land use questions
- Providing development review services for new development
- Providing annexation services for properties coming into the city
Comprehensive Plan Update
The One Grand Junction 2020 Comprehensive Plan Update planning process is into its second year. City staff continues to work with the consultant team Houseal Lavigne & Associates (HLA) and the Comprehensive Plan Advisory Committee (CPAC). Below is a short summary 2020 activities:
- The Comprehensive Plan Advisory Committee reviewed and commented on the draft vision, goals and objectives including work on the detailed planning of two subareas of the City, 24 Road and lower downtown.
- The process so far has garnered approximately 2200 points of public engagement.
- With all the public and staff input collected, HLA is working with City staff on drafting the vision, goals, objectives, refining the subarea plans and drafting the final 2020 Comprehensive Plan.
The planning process continues into the fall. Coming up, the draft Plan will be available for public review and comment. An open house will be scheduled to provide opportunity to review, ask questions and provide input on the draft Plan. Public hearings to consider adoption of the Plan will occur in the end of 2020 with Planning Commission first, then followed up with City Council for final consideration. Please check back to the City’s website for information and for the specific meeting times and locations as these are scheduled.